Provincial government launches public consultation on Ontario Place redevelopment
It’s been a month since the provincial government announced that three companies would play a leading role in the redevelopment of the iconic 155-acre Ontario Place site and officials are seeking feedback on the project.
In a survey released by the government on Monday, he asked residents what features would be most interesting, what amenities should be in public spaces, what heritage features are most important, in what ways people would access the site, and what types of science programs should be on the site.
The public consultation website said the results, which will be released in late 2021, “will inform the planning and ongoing redevelopment of the Ontario Place site.”
Global News specifically asked how the comments would be integrated given that three main sections of the site will be split between private sector companies, but Ontario government officials were not immediately available for comment.
Toronto’s Ontario Place redevelopment set to include 3 new attractions
Those at the local organization Ontario Place for All have previously called on the government to keep the site accessible to the public and to hold public consultations before any changes are made.
They also wanted the area’s Indigenous heritage to be recognized and the site to be integrated with Exhibition Place, as well as existing recreational infrastructure.
Located south of Lake Shore Boulevard West and Exhibition Place, the iconic attraction site opened in 1971 but was closed in 2012 due to declining revenues and tight provincial finances. At that time, the government said attendance had fallen to around 300,000, from a peak of around 2.5 million.
La Cinesphere has been renovated in recent years and continues to operate year round, showing films. In addition, a marina with 240 slides is open between May and October. More recently, the site has hosted festivals and drive-in events.
Indigenous learning center opens for summer at Ontario Place
The Budweiser Stage, a 16,000-guest hall used for concerts, has also not been redeveloped and continues to be operated by Live Nation. Government officials have previously said they intend to conserve three hectares of the park.
Trillium Park opened at Ontario Place in 2017, five years after it closed, and was connected to the city by the William G. Davis Recreational Trail, named after Ontario’s premier of the year. the opening of Ontario Place.
All of the above amenities were to be preserved as part of the plan announced on July 30 by Premier Doug Ford and other provincial government officials. They also confirmed that there will be no residential development or construction of a casino on the property.
The plan was for Live Nation to expand the summer capacity of the Budweiser stage to 20,000 people and create a hall for 9,000 people during the winter season.
Former Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders To Receive Up To $ 171,000 A Year As Ontario Place Councilor
Groupe Écorécréo has announced the construction of an all-season adventure park for families, including aerial obstacle courses, zip lines, climbing walls and other activities.
Therme Group has published plans for a year-round health and wellness center with amenities such as swimming pools, slides, botanical spaces, sports performance and recovery services as well as a public beach .
Provincial officials said they are considering a partnership with the Ontario Science Center to bring science-related programs to the Cinesphere and modules.
As for what happens after the public consultations, Ontario government staff were scheduled to undertake an environmental assessment for the entire property in early 2022. Ultimately, the site is expected to be redeveloped between 2027 and 2030 .
– with files from The Canadian Press
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.