A Look Back at the Last 100 Years of the Black Mountain Public Library – AVLtoday
The Black Mountain Public Library turns 100 years this month. In honor of the centenarywe examine her the story and looks forward to its next 100 years of operation.
Launched in a storage room of the Black Mountain Presbyterian Church in 1922the library started as 50 pounds which have been donated. In 1923, he exceeded the church space and moved to a permanent location above City Hall in 1927where he remained until 1968. Fun fact? The library’s first head librarian was a woman and since then has had 13 female head librarians.
Speak 1960sthe library again exceeded its space. In 1963resident Betty Tyson and Friends of the Library chair, Ms. Culver Smith, raised $124,000 to supplement the funds of a new space. Its inauguration took place in May of 1967and the building was officially inaugurated in April of 1968.
Another fun fact: The library has the cast iron scissors which Betty used at the inauguration of the exhibition, as well as lapel labels fundraising fairs and a audio recording of Black Mountain Mayor Larry Harris, recalling moving day, when the children tote books at the new location of little red wagons.
The Black Mountain Public Library we know today, located at 105 N. Dougherty St., was designed by an Asheville native Anthony Lord (who also designed the Asheville Citizen-Times building). He used native stone + plants in its landscaping.
In 1993, the town of Black Mountain rededicated the library in honor of Betty Tyson, renaming it the Black Mountain – Tyson Public Library. Today, the 54-year-old building needs renovation + expansionand non-profit The Friends of the Black Mountain Library plans to fundraising and campaign for the improvement of the facilities.
Want even more history from the local library? Local historian + resident Tom Stiles will discuss the founding and growth of the library tonight of 6-7:15 p.m.